How do you give a lot of necessary world-building knowledge without info-dumps?

Home Page Forums Writer Help – a QnA for aspiring authors How do you give a lot of necessary world-building knowledge without info-dumps?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Bob Bobson
      Participant

How do you give a lot of necessary world-building knowledge without info-dumps?

I’ve got a plot that really hangs on understanding the intricacies of the setting. Without knowing any of that, the story would not make much sense. I hate info-dumping but there is a lot of stuff the reader needs to know.

Burty Burtman
      Participant

What is the absolute minimum a reader needs to know for chapter one?

Bob Bobson
        Participant

About two chapter’s worth of non-stop info dumps.

Burty Burtman
        Participant

About two chapter’s worth of non-stop info dumps.

Well… Ouch.

I dunno what to say to that.

How much could you show or imply later so that a second reading is even better than the first?

Matthew Brown
      Keymaster

If you need to introduce that much background information before the plot proper can get underway then you need a narrative that can act both as character introduction and development whilst also being a tour of your world.

From the sounds of what you are describing you first act (25%) is probably this easing in phase. Following an outside into the inside could act as an audience surrogate to pin your drip-fed information display to without it seeming like a dull old info-dump.

TL;DR: Find a character you can begin with for whom no background understanding is needed.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.