How soon should I give a character backstory?

Home Page Forums Writer Help – a QnA for aspiring authors How soon should I give a character backstory?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Jason Latnar
      Participant

I have three characters that I have written a complete backstory for. The opening chapter is lots of action and there is no time for backstory.

Should I put each backstory in a chapter of its own before the action or is it okay to drop the backstory in later?

Matthew Brown
      Keymaster

Backstory writing is a great tool for you the writer. However, the backstory is not the story you are telling. The current story is.

You have done the right thing by starting with the action. That is a great way to start a story. Not the only way but a dependable way to get the ball rolling.

When it comes to showing your homework, that is giving the backstory for your characters, if you “drop it in” it will almost always be wrong. The reason is that you have to stop the current story to tell another story. Generally, this is known as doing an “info dump” and it is not a good idea.

Instead, drip-feed, the backstory into the main narrative only at the point hat it first becomes relevant. That way you will not slow the current story to tell readers what they need to know and what you do tell them is instantly relevant to the story they are reading and, therefore, interesting.

Jason Latnar
      Participant

Thanks. I will try not to “info dump” from now on.

Drip, drip, drip, goes the backstory.

Matthew Brown
      Keymaster

That’s the way to do it.

jeffjohns
      Participant

I like to get the backstory out there in the first chapter.

Matthew Brown
        Keymaster

I’ve not read any of your work but surely putting all the backstory into chapter one is front heavy? Do you not find that the backstory slows down the pace of the chapter?

I know that if I did that, nothing would happen in chapter one. It would be bogged down in info dumps. I’m not saying yours is, maybe you have a gift for getting it all in there with a decent pace. I do not have that ability.

jeffjohns
        Participant

My first chapters are massive.

Christian Writer
      Participant

I prefer to learn just as much as I need to. But I do enjoy backstory. I’d be happy if all books came with huge appendices of backstory.

Matthew Brown
        Keymaster

That is exactly the way to do it. Think about how you get to know your friends. Certain facts about them only came up as they were relevant.

No one says, “Hi, my name is Jim. My favourite ice cream is chocolate but I’ll take strawberry if you don’t have it. I support Liverpool, hate cricket, and like to go for walks on a Sunday afternoon. My first pet was a cat called snowball…”

No one does that because it is largely irrelevant. Instead, these facts come out in conversation naturally – ie, when they are brought up.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.