TPK – Roleplay encounters and advice

Any advice for a first time GM?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      jeffjohns
      Participant

In a few months time, I will be the GM for our group. There are four of us and we take it in turns but this is my first time in the hot-seat.

Any advice you can give me?

Matthew Brown
      Keymaster

If you are unsure I would suggest two things.

1. Run a pre-made adventure path.
      2. Ask the most experienced GM from the group to support you.

When I ran my first game I had the groups founding GM backing me up. That really helped me find my feet. Not to mention I had a guide to some of the parts of the GM role that I was unfamiliar with.

A word of caution with pre-made adventure paths – read them through beforehand. I took part in one game where the GM had as little idea what was coming next as we did. Our party pretty much derailed the entire game before the end of the first chapter. I won’t go into details but it was not a great game. It was not bad but it lacked a certain something. Things got better from that bad start but take it from me – know the game before you start.

Jack Dent
      Participant

My advice: Don’t!

I ran a game once and it was the hardest thing I ever did. I stick to just running a single character now.

jeffjohns
      Participant

I’m really looking forward to it. Being the GM looks like fun.

I’m not naive enough to think it will be easy but I want to have a go. I’m going to be running Hell’s Rebels (Pathfinder) which I’ve had in my library for ages.

I like Matt’s idea of getting another GM to support me. I’m going to ask the guy whose flat we play in. He’s been our GM for a lot of adventures.

Matthew Brown
      Keymaster

Let me know how you get on.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.